Monday, August 31, 2009

Good News, Bad News

The good news, or so I'm told, is: On the Internet, there's lots of information about learning how to play the piano and avoiding musician's injuries.

The bad news, I reply, is this: Almost all of the information you'll find on these subjects is misleading at best.

For instance: Ask.com provides us with this pearl of wisdom re: playing arpeggios (inexplicably labeled "long scales") on the Piano with the Right Hand:






If you're a pianist, you just laughed outloud. And if you're hoping to become a pianist who will someday be in on this joke, the type of misinformation represented here will most likely prevent you from ever achieving the musical literacy required to grasp the foolishness of this example.

I've been playing piano for over 46 years, and I know almost everything I want to know about music and how to play the piano. So, why should I care that other people are being prevented from gaining this knowledge?

More importantly, why should I care that YOU care?

No comments:

Post a Comment